Waist Width ... How WIDE?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Waist Width ... How WIDE?

Post by rcrobar » Friday 5 April 2002, 0:18

Does Stance Angle + Boot Size + No Over Hang = Waist Width?

Should Waist Width dictate Stance angles..or..should Stance Angles dictate Waist Width?

The chicken or the egg.

When building and testing your E-carve prototypes, did you find a point where the waist width was too wide? Or is it simply a factor of matching foot size, preferred stance angle are then make the corresponding waist width?

Example

When my rear foot (Mondo Point 28.5) is set at 45 degrees, flat on the board, I need a snowboard that is 24 cm at the waist.... to completely eliminate “boot out” when the board is tipped perpendicular to the snow. I used a carpenters square to calculate overhang and waist width.

Is this too wide? Am I forced to use steeper angles to eliminate “boot out?”

Rob

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Friday 5 April 2002, 9:09

Hi Rob,

You touched here one of the most subtle problem in extreme carving.

Having a too narrow board toward the stance makes the boots (every knows it now) touching the snow in laid turns.
But having a too wide board is also bad because edge hover hang will produce a lever on the boots that makes more strength on the rider's legs.
So you can deduce of this that the waist width is depending on your stance and foot size.

There is a compromise to find:
1. You have to choose your boots the shorter as possible (without having pain, of course).
2. It's impossible to put a snowboard verticaly at 90 degrees on hard snow because the tips width is superior to the waist width and because this would oblige the board to bend in a 0 m radius...
We tested this compromise in snow condition: having the more boot hover hang possible without touching too much in laid turns.
The result we got: the rear boot touches the snow when the board lies "verticaly" at about 84 degrees.
You can mesure this at home with a rule and a protactor: put the rule on the sole perpendiculary to the board axis and mesure with the protactor, the angle between the rule (the sole plane) and the the point were the protactor is touching the rear boot. You should obtain about 84 degrees on each side of the board.

Have good tests

Jacques

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Raising the boot off the board.

Post by rcrobar » Friday 5 April 2002, 21:40

Raising the boot off the board.

For those of us who own big feet and narrow boards.

It is generally understood and accepted that raising the boot off the board
(NO CANTING, NO HEEL/TOE LIFT ... JUST RAISING THE BOOT) helps to reduce "boot out."

Does lifting the boots off the board, for clearance, have a negative, positive or no affect on the riders ability to do an E-Carve?

I'm wondering if the added leverage makes it harder to control the carve?

Rob

PS
I want to thank all involved for taking the time to respond.
Riders are reading, learning, questioning, debating and visiting .... which is a good thing.
I find the pooled knowledge and discussion invaluable and simply a lot of fun.

NateW
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NateW » Saturday 6 April 2002, 7:24

As the edge angle approaches 90 degrees, the benefit you get from a riser approaches zero - at 90 degrees, a riser would move the boot closer to the center of the arc, but it wouldn't move the boot away from the snow at all. At the angles you see in the videos, I doubt that a riser would give a significant benefit.

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Sunday 7 April 2002, 8:04

You are 100% right Nate.
Furthermore, a riser will probably introduce a rotative strength on the boots (as a lever).

Jacques