Tip Design

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

NateW
Rank 4
Rank 4

Tip Design

Post by NateW » Wednesday 10 April 2002, 8:18

How tall are the tips of your carve boards? How long are they? Can you tell us the radius of the bend that lifts the tip off the snow?

And, the feature I am most curious about, does the sidecut extend up the tip of the board, or does the sidecut curve end right at the point where the tip begins to curve upward? It seems that most snowboards have a sidecut that extends slightly up the tip, perhaps 2-3cm or so, but I wonder if this is the best design for a carving board. It seems to me that when the board is angled 90 degrees to the snow, it might be better to have the sidecut end right where the tip begins to curve upward. Have you guys experimented with this feature of snowboard design?

Thanks.

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Wednesday 10 April 2002, 18:17

Hi Nate,

You are a very clever or/and experienced guy because all your technical questions are very pertinent.

This time you touch very subtles problems that have a lot of influence on the board behaviour.
I noticed that most of the snowboard brands don't master this at all.

Because of this and the fact that a forum is accessible to everybody, I have to protect my knowledge.

It would have been a pleasure for me to talk about this very interesting subject that I often experimented.

I'm really sorry... :(

Jacques

Post by Guest » Wednesday 10 April 2002, 20:48

Hi Nate

He could tell you the answer, but then he would have to kill you. :D

Rob

PS - I'd love to buy a board.