Question for the guru: I cannot have a final answer!

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

RicHard
Rank 5
Rank 5

Question for the guru: I cannot have a final answer!

Post by RicHard » Tuesday 16 April 2002, 14:53

Hi! I'm asking this question to many people but nobody seems to be convinced of his own answer:
while carving frontside, do I have to pressure the edge with my toes or with my shins (pressuring the boot)? This question because if I try to push my toes toward the snow, the shins seems to go far from the front part of the boot. In order to make the shins pressure the boots, I have almost to lift the toes from the boots. Any opinion about this?! What about freecarving? Which are the differences between pressuring with the toes and pressuring with the shins? Thank you in advance... this seems to be a doubt of many many people because nobody is convinced of what he does!!!
Bye!
RicHard

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Tuesday 16 April 2002, 18:05

This my personal point of view:
In soft boots, it's only possible to push on the toes.
As in my philosophy hard boots are only a help that gives more strength to our ankles, I push on my toes and on my shin together in a way to distibute the strength. Pushing on the toes allows a control on the board inclination during the turn. But as the needed strength is much too important with a carving board, it is necessary to help with the shins.
This is also why the springs on the hard boots are important: they allow a very progressive boot flex.

Jacques

RicHard
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RicHard » Wednesday 17 April 2002, 15:23

I agree... but there's another question: if you push with your toe, your shins go far from the front cuff of the boot (and the back of your shin push on the back of the boot). So, how can you do both of the things together? Try to push a lot your toes and your shins will stuck to the back side of the boot... I will be very grateful if you could explain at your best in which phase you push totally with your toes, if at the end of the carve you shift your pressure on the shins, etc...
I think you since now!!!!!
P.S.: I think this is a key point that nobody takes care of but that could be one of the main in carving correctly.
:-)
_RicHard

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Wednesday 17 April 2002, 19:12

You are asking here a difficult question, because as you said, nobody takes care of it...

I never push enough sothat the shins stucks to the back side of the boot.
I keep a balance between both of these strength application points.

Another point in extreme carving: As the board is nearly vertical, but can't work vertically (we are at the limit at about 84 degrees), pushing too much on the toes will put the board vertically and make it skid.

Still another point: with our settings, we don't push only on the toes but also twist the foot in the shoe because the feet have about 50 degrees stance angulation. Thus, there is also a strength on the side of the shoes (like when you move your shoes to twist the bails).

Concerning the different phases of the turn, our E-carve technique allows to distribute the pressure all along the turn. So if I do my turn correctly, the edge pressure will remain nearly the same during the whole turn.

That's the magic of the extremecarving.com technique. :D

If you stay laid too long and wait before pulling the legs back (see technical chapter on the site), then the strength increase. It can be so strong, that your legs just can't stand it (if your snowboard has a good edge grip, of course...).

I don't know whether you have understand my expanations with my special english... 8O

Don't hesitate for asking again.

Jacques