choosing f2 silberpfiel... help needed!!

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

ico
Rank 1
Rank 1

choosing f2 silberpfiel... help needed!!

Post by ico » Monday 25 February 2008, 21:55

hi everybody! i just bumped in this site while looking for information, as i finally decided to make de big jump from soft to hard... wonderfoul!
i have found f2 silberfiel boards of the 2006/07 season for reasonable price and i need som advice on what measure to choose...
i weigh about 55kg and i am 1.70m tall
from scratch i should coose the 1.56 (range from 50 to 75kg) but i am afraid that its sidecut radius (7.8m) is rather short for a beginner...
the 162 has instead a target weigh starting from 60kg (with boots and everything i could reach it...) and a sidecut radius of 9m.
i'm not really looking for top end speed, but i am rather aiming at learning nice carved turns...
please help me to find the most beginner(fast-learning)-friendly solution!

thanks
federico

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skywalker » Tuesday 26 February 2008, 1:06

The easy answer to a question like "which silberpfeil" is always:

none.

skywalker
free extreme carving

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 1 March 2008, 16:14

if you want to make just frondside laydown - you can buy silber :) I had one and replace to a wide board with equal flex pattern. You can face a troubles when loading a soft nose of F2 silberpfeil like me :-) but it`s a good board for fun, not for EC
i`m learning

RicHard
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RicHard » Sunday 2 March 2008, 23:43

Buy the 162 one.
My weight is 68Kg and this is me with the 168 Silberpfeil.

Please, don't blindly trust who say that you can't lay down turns with silberpfeil...
Frontside and backside...
;)
Always same doubts, always same pictures (me, with Silberpfeil 2006/2007):

_RicHard
Kessler The Alpine 168 - FTWO Speester RS Proto 179 (2012) - Burton Fire boots

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Monday 3 March 2008, 7:14

RicHard :-) good pictures.How long you practiced this?

Actually your style looks different from what EC looks like.
i`m learning

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skywalker » Monday 3 March 2008, 8:45

I can do "some kind of" laydowns with an old Rad Air Hornet, too. This does not make this crappy board any better.

skywalker
free extreme carving

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Monday 3 March 2008, 9:20

Actually author did not specify what he wants from the snowboard. This is essential to get a proper advice.
The board we are talking about have a good design and quality, and this allow to do a nice carve turns, like any softboot setup

F2 have a very good marketing team - so much victims of "carving machine" moto :-) Including myself

Skywalker, you seems do not like this board :-) why?
i`m learning

RicHard
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RicHard » Monday 3 March 2008, 10:09

skywalker wrote:The easy answer to a question like "which silberpfeil" is always:

none.
It's always nice to see an open mind: in the original post the person is not asking to extremecarve but just to switch from soft to hard and to do "nice carved turns" but... you suggest him not to buy a silberpfeil
Why?
It's one of the best compromise between price/quality/fun/performance/construction/post-sales support and "reselling possibilities" that you can find on the earth.
:?
_RicHard

RicHard
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RicHard » Monday 3 March 2008, 10:10

skywalker wrote:I can do "some kind of" laydowns with an old Rad Air Hornet, too. This does not make this crappy board any better.
What did F2 do to you?
:wink:
_RicHard

RicHard
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RicHard » Monday 3 March 2008, 10:11

starikashka wrote:Actually author did not specify what he wants from the snowboard. This is essential to get a proper advice.
That's the key point!
You've cought it.
I don't know why someone has to move the author away from Silberpfeil without givinng any reason for.
:?
_RicHard

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Monday 3 March 2008, 10:24

Hi Richard,

I also had a SP and I think I know what Skywalker is referring to. The board is a good entry level carving deck, but has a strange behaviour. The tip is pretty stiff, that's why it loves to dig its nose into the soft snow os slush. I guess many of you have already experienced this.

On the other hand the area next to the front binding towards the tip is kinda softish, so once one learns how to load / push the board appropriately, the front part of the board will bend too much and the edge will release. Even a Conshox does not really help that, I know, I had one, too.

Someone who has a SB experience might reach this point pretty quickly and then will have to buy an other board again.... So why not start with something better for the first?

I hope this clarifies.

Kind regards

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Monday 3 March 2008, 10:33

+1 to Istvan :-)

I could give a reason why you do not need a Silber and also I could give an opposite :-) As i have a some experience with this board. Same time author asking the question on extremecarving forum :-)

+
Quality, reselling possibilities, easy to ride using basic EC rotation technic
-
Soft nose - this does not allow me to achieve high inclination in backside and throw me uphill with unexpected rapidity. That why i replace it :-)

I`m 95 kg, had a 172 silber, now i`ve ride Duret Alpine 175 which is also not a perfect board :-) but economically more attractive.

There is no need to made a battle :-) Silber is not a best board that beginner can buy, and of cource this is not appropriate for EC training. I think ico already made a decision.
i`m learning

RicHard
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RicHard » Monday 3 March 2008, 10:38

István wrote:Hi Richard,

I also had a SP and I think I know what Skywalker is referring to. The board is a good entry level carving deck, but has a strange behaviour. The tip is pretty stiff, that's why it loves to dig its nose into the soft snow os slush. I guess many of you have already experienced this.

On the other hand the area next to the front binding towards the tip is kinda softish, so once one learns how to load / push the board appropriately, the front part of the board will bend too much and the edge will release. Even a Conshox does not really help that, I know, I had one, too.

Someone who has a SB experience might reach this point pretty quickly and then will have to buy an other board again.... So why not start with something better for the first?

I hope this clarifies.

Kind regards
Well,
as first, you are explaining a little bit better your point of view: telling "don't buy a silberpfeil" to someone that wants to buy an alpine board seems a little bit a "preconcept".
We are here to discuss and to learn: what could a person (that is asking a suggestion) learn from "don't nuy a silberpfeil"?
Then:
I disagree with what you write about silberpfeil.
As first, it depends on the year of construction (different years had very different flex pattern).
Then, even if you can't load that much the board (and it has to be verified), this could be a board that can take you to learn really a lot, much more than having a superboard under your feet from the beginning.
The same is for the motorbike: if you buy a super-race 900cc motorbike as your first motorbike, perhaps you will not change it anymore until the races but...don't you think you will learn the basis faster with a less-extreme motorbike?
So... a good answer, would have been "if you want to have a definitive tool (AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT TO DO IN THE FUTURE!), think about something else. The Silberpfeil is a very good tool to learn and to go toward a very good level".
I saw people do veeeery nice things, even on very steep slopes, with silberpfeils...
Just this.
ciao!
:wink:
_RicHard

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skywalker » Monday 3 March 2008, 10:50

Short question Richard:

Which other boards did you ride in the past to compare SP with an how did you like them? Reviews without knowing the experience of test person are pretty worthless.
RicHard wrote:So... a good answer, would have been "if you want to have a definitive tool (AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT TO DO IN THE FUTURE!), think about something else. The Silberpfeil is a very good tool to learn and to go toward a very good level".
No. There are just a lot of cheap boards, which are a lot better to learn the "next level", i.e. Speedster RS or almost all other intermediate RSish boards. That's exactly the difference in believe of SP riders and all others ;)

skywalker
free extreme carving

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Monday 3 March 2008, 10:50

RicHard, I had SP same year than yours, for my weght seems F2 made no major difference. Maybe more lighter guys can feel it:-)

What is really nice depends on your understanding of carving :-) This comes up all the time in our Russian hardboot forums and initiate a battles :-)

For example, some guys in US decide that wide alpine board not needed for laydown turns and make a video that proves this. Yes, they had prove, but technically they made awful turns (on my opinion) which is not stand near of what some guys showing on wide boards. I do not mean Patrice and Jaques, who are top experts.
i`m learning