How steep is steep?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

How steep is steep?

Post by harald » Monday 24 November 2003, 13:31

It is one question I wonder about and that is how steep a slope should be to practice EC. You say in your technique section that in order to do EC, the slope has to be steep. Now, we might have different perceptions about what a "steep" slope really is. So if you could indicate in degrees it would be fine.
For comparison, the normal steepness of the steepest part of the outrun of a ski jumping hill is between 35 and 40 degrees. For me steepness of 37 degrees and more for carving snowboarding is a little bit scary, but maybe it is only a matter of mental training and practice?
harald

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Monday 24 November 2003, 13:52

hi harald

at the very beginning of the "stoked" video you can see patrice entering into the slope. it is filmed from the side; so you can asess the how steep this slope is.

for me, this slope looks very nice :) and i'm looking forward to the ec event in zinal :) (if the stoked movie has really been taken in zinal??)

olaf

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

steep

Post by pokkis » Monday 24 November 2003, 14:01

For my eye that slope in film looks more like 20+ steep but folks who have been there can confirm.
There has been numerous threads about this steep issue and for me everything groomed over 30 degrees is really too steep.
If i remember correctly deepest WC downhill slope is in level of 38 degrees.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

steeps

Post by nils » Monday 24 November 2003, 14:27

well stoked is filmed there in Zinal, and it is steep :).
What i have noticed is when it is steep it gets easier to EC nicely because you can keep your speed. I have not seen yet a too steep slope for EC, but mainly because when it gets steeper that some degree, they cannot groom it. I think that particular zinal slope they pull the ratracs on a cable uphill etc so it still can groom it.. The same slope in france would be a huge mogul run with 1 meter deep moguls...

Hope its steep in Lech and well, if not we'll find steep places or wait for Zinal :)
Nils

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Monday 24 November 2003, 16:10

Olaf, Pokkis, and Nils,
Wow. Thanks for replies so far. Now, I am beginning to get an idea of what steep is. It always looks nicer at video or TV, than in reality. When it is necessary to pull the pist machine in cables for grooming, it is far steeper than I feel comfortable with for my ability level. I had planned to go to Zinal, but that steep make me reconsider. Well, still I want to go so it will be a challenge and I have to do some mental training and hopefully a lot of practice on snow till then. We are still waiting for snow in the Oslo area, but some of the resorts in the mountains has opened some slopes and lots of people. Hopefully, see you in Zinal with head downwords.
harald

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Harald

Post by nils » Monday 24 November 2003, 16:17

There is quite a lot of other good pistes in Zinal which we will use :) no worries this one isn't the only place :)
Nils

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Monday 24 November 2003, 16:42

Nils, if you have resort map with shows height and length of that slope you could estimated steepness of it :lol: for me it does not look so steep in film and i'm comparing it to some other films i have of slopes i know :) but hey camera is allways laying :evil2:
And hey, i really need to find some snow and soon, otherwise i'm getting granky :twisted:

vkrouverk
Rank 5
Rank 5

steepness

Post by vkrouverk » Monday 24 November 2003, 18:29

In the beginning of stoked this 'Initial velocity vector providing slope' :D seems to be steepest, around 30 degrees (if I measured correctly from image) or 57% I personally know slope of 52 % descend and I yet have to carve it from top to down, so far I have managed only couple of isolated turns, then it goes to sideslipping :oops: But in other scenes it seems indeed less steeper, probably as pokkis said, 20+ degrees.

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Monday 24 November 2003, 19:44

I tried to measure also Xtrem dreamer, and i've ended to figure of 27 degrees on low steep point of slope. Deference used to was those poles next to slope :)
Which means that slope is respectable steep but due widthness perhaps carvable also for me :think:

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Monday 24 November 2003, 20:04

Hi Pokkis

:pray2: How did you make this accurate measurements :?: :pray2:

:wink: olaf :wink:

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Monday 24 November 2003, 21:56

As mentioned above, same way as Vahur ie takin one snapshot of film and then measuring vertical drop and horizontal travel. End result 27 is as accurate as any other number without decimals :lol:

Same way with my math i measured pic: olaf_bs3
and got steepness 11 degrees or
last pic of your avatar is 17 degrees :lol: you should be able verify my math easily :angel:
Hey, i really need to get on snow soon :D

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Tuesday 25 November 2003, 13:32

:bravo: :pray2: :bravo: :pray2: :bravo: :pray2: :bravo: :pray2: :bravo: :pray2: :bravo: :pray2: :bravo: :pray2: :bravo: :pray2: :bravo: :pray2:

... even if I don't know if it's correct

regards
olaf

fab the great
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fab the great » Wednesday 26 November 2003, 8:13

Hey Nil. France has some of the best steeper groom run ever 8) Les Arc...... :evil: :twisted: :roll: :P 8O :) :( :o

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

hehe

Post by nils » Wednesday 26 November 2003, 10:50

you mean the KL slope?
No waay hard to carve on a 55° ;)