Another dumb question about HEELSIDE TURN...

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

heli_snowboard
Rank 0
Rank 0

Another dumb question about HEELSIDE TURN...

Post by heli_snowboard » Thursday 25 December 2003, 1:39

I've been carving for awhile now......but seems like I never could carve on heelside.....it's more like basic elementary turn......eventhough I could carve
solid line with my toeside(thx to you guys....My armpit can touch snow).....

when I initiate heelside turn, my weight shifts either to back or front too much that my edge pops out and fall.....and also my leg was straight when
this happens.....I know I have to bend my knees but seems like I can't ....
I've tried with this in my mind "bend you knees....you moron" but that never
worked.....

also, when you see the picture of patrice in upper left banner....patrice waist
is turned more to the heelside......but when I'm in middle of heelside turn, it's more parallel to my board which cause my backside leg to sticks out to make counter rotation.....

is there any solution to this problem???
what do I have to do???
how should I practice heelside from scratch???

thx for reading and I'll wait for your feedback....

Mphdemon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mphdemon » Thursday 25 December 2003, 2:39

I used to have a lot of trouble with my heel side turn too. I figured out that what I was doing wrong was that as I progressed through a turn then I began to turn my body back to make it face more down hill. This caused me to always pop out of my carve especially when I was trying to do EC carves.

That is what counter rotation is. I think that you have a slight misunderstanding of counter rotation, or maybe I do, but I'm pretty sure that it basically only applies to your upper body. Because people like to face the direction that they are headed, so on a toeside turn then they tend to twist their upper body to the left (right if you ride goofy foot) and they twist the other direction for their heel side turn. I don't think that it matters really if your knee or something sticks out on your heel side turn.

You also might need a different kind of board. If you have a racing board then you may not be physically able to lay down your heel side turn. Sometimes it takes a much wider board, and one that is specifically designed for carving. A race board will carve, but they're not meant to carve in EC turns so they usually can't maintain enough of an edge when you get down that low. I hope this helps. have a great season. :bravo: :xmas: :silly:
Chris