push/pull technique again

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

ivo
Rank 0
Rank 0

push/pull technique again

Post by ivo » Sunday 11 January 2004, 16:45

Hi Patrice, Jacques, Nils and all there.

I am trying to understand your push-pull technique perfectly, let can I start to learn it.

It looks so easy and nice if you do it... but we know it isn't...

If I understand it right, if you say "push the board away from you and then pull it back" you don't mean push your board back and than forward like it is described in CERN club website in chapter "accelerated carve turn" , ( not in horizontal but in vertical direction) do you?

Do you use this technique of accelerated turns ? Do you use it simultaneously with push-pull technique?

If your board is sometimes in the air at the end of the turn, it is because you use this technique of accelerated turns ( and push the board away from you in forward direction) or because you pull it very strong up?

Is your push-pull technique same like advanced carving (flexion turns ) described in CERN club?

Do you pull the board because you need to unweight it before the edge changing?

What is the reason for straight your leg in the first part of the turn? Only the fact that if you need to flex them in the second part of the turn you have to have straighten them before?

I think , you may not straight your leg strong, because you will unweight the edge, am I right?

Is the push-pull technique exactly opposite to extension turns? I mean that you do extension instead of flexion and vice versa.

What are advantages of push-pull compared to extension turns? You don't use extension turns anymore?

Lot of questions, but I hope it will help not only to me.

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Monday 12 January 2004, 8:17

Hi Ivo,
if you say "push the board away from you and then pull it back" you don't mean push your board back and than forward like it is described in CERN club website in chapter "accelerated carve turn" , ( not in horizontal but in vertical direction) do you?
Yes, it is a vertical (toward your body) movement.
Do you use this technique of accelerated turns ? Do you use it simultaneously with push-pull technique?
Not really. If we want to be more dynamic (when the snow quality allows it) we keep some pressure at the end of the turn instead of pulling too hard. This helps the board to push the rider to the next turn and allows even a small jump between the turns.
If your board is sometimes in the air at the end of the turn, it is because you use this technique of accelerated turns ( and push the board away from you in forward direction) or because you pull it very strong up?
See the previous answer.
Is your push-pull technique same like advanced carving (flexion turns ) described in CERN club?
No, because the timing is different. In the flexion turn, you flex at the same time you do the rotation and push at the end of the turn. In the push-pull turn you flex at the end of the turn and push right after the rotation, at the moment the board start tu turn.
The flexion turn is very usefull in skidded turns like on narrow slopes or in the bumps.
Do you pull the board because you need to unweight it before the edge changing?
No, we pull the board to unweight it to avoid skidding at the end of the turn and to be low at the edge switching, sothat there is less to move when laying down.
What is the reason for straight your leg in the first part of the turn? Only the fact that if you need to flex them in the second part of the turn you have to have straighten them before?
Your answer is right, but there is other reasons: to extend the body in the laid turn and to help the board to bend in the turn. But the most important reason of all this push-pull technique is to distribute the forces all along the turn. With the other techniques, all the forces are concentrated in the second part of the turn and the result is that the board starts skidding or chattering.
I think , you may not straight your leg strong, because you will unweight the edge, am I right?
Yes, all these movements should be smooth and progressive, following the rythm of the turns.
Is the push-pull technique exactly opposite to extension turns? I mean that you do extension instead of flexion and vice versa.
Yes!
What are advantages of push-pull compared to extension turns?
In normal riding it gives you a much better control of your board on any kind of slope. In EC turns, it makes you able to master them.

You don't use extension turns anymore?
No, this technique is not really usefull for us.

Have a good EC training!

Jacques