push-pull in powder?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

kjl
Rank 4
Rank 4

push-pull in powder?

Post by kjl » Wednesday 14 January 2004, 5:03

J,P,&N - you say you ride softboots in powder because you prefer the feeling. I do as well. Do you still do push-pull in powder as well? How about counter-rotation as opposed to rotation turns? Does your answer change if you are in very tight trees, or if you are going down something steep, requiring jump turns?

As for me, I tend to do rotation turns in powder if I have a lot of room, but I do not push-pull. In trees or in steep chutes I tend to go back to counter-rotation turns as it seems much quicker (quicker to turn, not faster velocity), and easier to manage the speed.

Do you have any videos of yourselves doing push-pull turns in powder? I would like to see what it looks like. I imagine that, like me, you are probably too busy enjoying the powder to stop and take videos of each other, though :)
--

Ken

ablazespy
Rank 5
Rank 5

8)

Post by ablazespy » Monday 19 January 2004, 12:48

Hi Ken,

I can tell you that I and a lot of other people ride your way rotation tech for where they can but for quick turns, between trees or stones we all tend to use some combination of counter rotation and rotation technique what ever way it helps not to hit the objects. I have seen on some video's that Pro's ride the rotation technique all the way tru trees stones and cliffs.
So my question: "How to influence the turn to get a quick and direct turn on speed in the powder with the rotation technique?"
And maybe others do not agree, it is not wrong to use the counter rotation technique if it keeps you from hitting trees.

Cheers Dènis 8)

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Tuesday 20 January 2004, 7:50

Yes, we ride with rotation and push-pull technique in powder. I don't say we never do counter-rotation, but when it happens it's because we have been surprised and had not the time anymore to do the rotation.

In fact, we consider each counter-rotation we do as a mistake. It's extreme but it's our choice and the best way to learn.
Do you have any videos of yourselves doing push-pull turns in powder? I would like to see what it looks like. I imagine that, like me, you are probably too busy enjoying the powder to stop and take videos of each other, though :)
Not at the moment. During the Christmas holliday I was caught in an avalanche (for the third time in my life!) and now I will be much more careful! :naughty:

Jacques