Large feet & narrow boards

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

BlueDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Large feet & narrow boards

Post by BlueDevil » Friday 16 January 2004, 13:53

Hi!
I've been reading a lot on this forum lately, and I found some advices I had to discover myself throughout the years...instead, I could come here & see it all in one hour!

Anyhow, for my question...
I have LARGE feet... 46 in size (european size), and I am tall (194 cm). And lightweight (82 kg). The question is about having the lower binding angle without having half of the boot over the edge. May I copy the shape of the bottom side of the binding and make a 1cm (1/2") thick aluminium plate & insert it between the board and the binding? That way I'd rise my feet off the board and my feet wouldn't grap the snow in turns. That idea I got from skiers, seeing them rising their feet for as much as 2 or 3 inches off the ski.
What do you guys think, would it help or not?

vkrouverk
Rank 5
Rank 5

probably not the best solution

Post by vkrouverk » Friday 16 January 2004, 14:45

If you decide to go with aluminium plate, then at least don't put it between binding and board, but between binding's stiff part (metal plate) and dampener: board flexes and aluminium plate in direct contact with board will probably affect flex pattern (up to the breaking of topsheet/board?).
But if you can afford, then I'd recommend to go with professional solutions. E.g. if you use Conshox, then it will add 8 mm,
with Intec Titanflex you get an additional 1+ cm. of rise (thanks to thick dampener below binding). I've used Conshox and Titanflex together and total boot rise over board was 4-5 cm IIRC
One option is to use Palmer Powerlinks (although I don't know, how good they will work with hard setup).

BlueDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueDevil » Friday 16 January 2004, 16:33

Yup, the $$$ is a problem :( I keep breaking up bindings at regular basis, and I bought a new board recently...and everything else just adds up.
I see your point with aluminium (stiffness etc) but the other options cost significantly.
So, there ani' no other solutions but getting that ek$pencive plate & rised bindings? Too bad, I was hoping...

Anyhow...presuming I set up my bindings so they don't go out the board's edge...But when I put the board on the edge, carving, the boot WILL come in contact with snow anyhow. Or won't it? Like, it seems to me that the boot extremities should be at least an inch AWAY from the edge in order to have a clean edge grip when carving?

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

not quite

Post by nils » Friday 16 January 2004, 16:55

Depending on your board's width it depends.
Xavier who also has big feet (47) and rides a 175M (23.1cm waist) doesn't have too many problems. he has bigger angles than me, but not too much.
As for having feet ends an inch inside the width it is not necessary, just make sure it is at least above or behind the edge and the boot will find its way in the snow when edge is deep without making the board to loose edge.

Nils