Getting a Freebie...Need Advice

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

scribb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Getting a Freebie...Need Advice

Post by scribb » Tuesday 20 January 2004, 3:27

I've got a friend who works for a manufacturer who's offered to get me an industry discount on some gear. Since I'm a poor working stiff, this is golden. He works for Salomon. So....

I've been boarding for about 7 years, but I'm not much of a physics guru, so I'm not up on how changes in stance, etc., change my ride--I pretty much just ride. Here's my dilemma.

I have size 13 feet, and have been used to riding on a wide board (Burton Canyon 168-173)--especially after wiping out with toe-drag on a skinnier board. I've been reading through the postings and seeing discussions on changing stance and binding height, but I'm having a hard time finding a bottom line.

I have access to getting a pair of any Salomon bindings, including the carbons. I've also been looking at a Definition board. Does anyone have any good advice on whether to go with a skinnier board and do some adjustments on the angle and height?

Thanks,

/ck

BlueDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

RE:

Post by BlueDevil » Friday 23 January 2004, 9:11

OK, I'm gonna try 'n jump in with what I got from reading posts here...

Basically, there's nothing wrong with narrow boards. Actually, it's easier to flip edges (that's why they make them narrow). With EC (but also racing), the problem is that you have to have high angles of bindings with narrow board, especially if you're a bigfoot (I know I am). So, with high angles you get lousy balance plus you can't flex your knees on the longitudinary axis of the board as well as you can with lower angles.
So, basically, you're to get low angles (not more than 60* IMHO - preferably not over 55*) BUT you can't absolutely afford boots hanging over the edge.
Rising the binding helps, 'cos you can't put the board at 90*, but at most @ some 86*. So it could help rising the bindings, but... if you rise it too high, it'll do some serious damage to the board. Not to mention significant increase in momentum that "attacks" your legs, and which grows (almost)exponentionaly with every cm of rised binding.

Bottom line: board as narrow as possible, without severe angles and without boots overboarding.

P.S.
If I'm wrong, somebody PLS jump in!

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Friday 23 January 2004, 14:57

Hi Blue Devil

Thanks for bringing up the point with the high angles.
let's discuss it here:
viewtopic.php?p=3836#3836
Olaf