Northwave & Raichle Boots-Modifications?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Northwave & Raichle Boots-Modifications?

Post by rcrobar » Friday 26 April 2002, 21:14

Hi

PLASTIC ADD ON?

The picture on your web site, of your Northwave boots, looks like two pieces of plastic (light blue), have been added between the boot shell and the liner.

Is the plastic a modification or stock on the boots?
If the plastic is an add on?
Is the plastic added to both boots in the same location on the front and back boot?
Is it to reinforce the twisting of the lead foot during a heel side turn?

SPRING SYSTEM?

I’m also wondering how how the “progressive flex” spring is adjusted on your Northwave boots. The picture looks like there is a nut that stops the boot from moving backwards on a heel side turn.

The picture also looks like the spring does little on the heel side turn, but does everything on the toe side turn ... is this correct?
Would it be possible to post a close up picture of the spring system?

MODIFYING RAICHLE BOOTS

I e-mailed the guys at bomberonline the following question.

Can the spring box (I'm assuming it includes the entire part) from the
Raichle AF 700 be installed into/on the Raichle 325 boots?

Yes, they will fit on the older boots as well. You can put them on your 325's. We have the Springs for sale that come stock with the AF 700's. These run $39.95 each.

Has anyone ever replaced the mechanism that is located at the back of most Raichle boots?

Does anyone know what the spring box on the Raichle AF 700 behaves like. Is it stiff, soft, allow for much travel, very adjustable etc.?

I’m wondering if the Northwave boots progressive flex can be copied by replacing the 5 position free or blocked system on my older Raichle 325's with the spring system of the Af 700?

Does anyone know anything about the AF 700?

Thanks for any info.

Rob[/u]

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Saturday 27 April 2002, 9:34

Hi,

The plastic pads are snowboard sole pads. They are only there for more comfort.
They are on both boots.

Spring system:
There is two adjusting nuts: one for toe side (up) and one (down) for canting.

You are right Rob, the little low yellow spring gives a few softness in back side turns (the boot shell is quite hard).
Then you can see 3 springs dedicated to toe side: a black one (soft), a blue one (middle) and another yellow one (hard).
This allow our progressive flex: thanks to the soft one, we can freely flex the knees. Then when strength is needed, the blue one is working and finally, on very hard pushed turns (as laid turns), the yellow one is here to allow a flex control. When all the springs are crushed, the hard boot shell stiffness prevents any ankle injury.

Replacing the Raichle 325 mecanism with the AF700 one seems to me THE solution for 325's owners. But I don't know anything about the AF700.

Jacques

yyzcanuck
Rank 4
Rank 4

Raichle RAB & 5 Position Adjusters

Post by yyzcanuck » Monday 29 April 2002, 14:45

Rob, yes the Raichle components are interchangeable. The RAB (spring system from AF700) uses the same mounting arrangement as the 5 Position Lean Adjusters (from all SB series boots). One word of caution, the holes in the shell, that hold the mounting pin in place, can become worn with repeated insertion/removal. Only do it once or twice. You may want to contact the Canadian distributor of Raichle components in Vancouver. I think you'll find a better price than $40USD.
GABRIEL A. MORDO & SON LTD.
8265 Main Street
CAN-Vancouver B.C. V5X 3L7
Telephone: 1-604-321-4443

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by rcrobar » Monday 29 April 2002, 16:43

Hi

Thanks for the tips.
I was a little concerned about pushing the tiny pins out of the plastic boot shell.

Would you recommend changing to the AF 700 spring system?

Thanks for your help and advice.
Rob

yyzcanuck
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by yyzcanuck » Monday 29 April 2002, 17:45

I think the decision is yours to make. I prefer to ride with the 5 Position Lean Adjuster 'open'. This allows my knee to flex fully forward (when I want) and yet provides a mechanical stop in the rearward motion. I don't know of many other riders that like this feel. But... the RAB system is on Raichles top line boot, and a similar design is what is recommended by this site (Northwave).

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by rcrobar » Tuesday 30 April 2002, 0:14

Hi yyzcanuck

Thanks for the tip once again, you saved me a bundle.

The bomber price was $80USD a pair for the RAB.
The GABRIEL A. MORDO & SON LTD. price was $25 Canadian a pair for the Raichle Accelerator Box.

With the very poor Canadian dollar, you save me a $100 bucks.
Guess I buy the next beer. :D

Rob

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Liners

Post by rcrobar » Sunday 5 May 2002, 18:53

Hi

I’m looking to replace my packed out standard Raichle liners.
It seems that the Raichle thermoflex is the only show in town.

I’ve heard of INTUITION thermoflex liners.
I also heard that racers have custom liners made out of an injected POLYURETHANE.

Suggestions anyone? A website or phone number would be helpful.

Thanks for your time.
Rob

yyzcanuck
Rank 4
Rank 4

http://www.startingate.net/liners_nofrb.htm

Post by yyzcanuck » Monday 6 May 2002, 16:32

NateW
Rank 4
Rank 4

intuition

Post by NateW » Tuesday 7 May 2002, 6:17

According to the guy who does my bootfitting, Intuition is the company that made Raichle's Thermoflex liners until recently. Raichle either switched vendors or started making them in-house, I'm not sure which. I have Thermoflexes from the Intuition days, and some recent Raichles, and they're pretty much equivalent.

When the original liners in my first pair of hard boots packed out, I switched to Thermoflex (Intuitions) and it was like having new boots again. Better actually, because the originals weren't Thermoflex.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

This is what i like best...

Post by nils » Sunday 12 May 2002, 12:02

http://www.sidas.com/conformable/globalfit.html

costs around 300 euros ( 250-300 USD)
the PU Liners are what to look for...
there are dealers in various locations too..

Mine broke after 6-7 seasons of good service, and i just duct taped them back so i could use them until i get the new ones.. ( foam tends to crack after a long time, where the efforts are huge ( above heel horizontal crack from ankle to ankle on both feet..)

Nils